Hasegawa 1/32 Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A8 R2
Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A-8/R2 as flown by Leutnant Klaus Bretschneider, 5./JG 300, Erfurt, Germany, October 1944.
I made this model 18 years ago, and since it has only appeared on Brett’s web site (in relatively small format photos) I thought it was time to re-photograph it and post some much larger, more detailed images here. I have done a bit of a clean up of the model, and since more pics have come to my attention, I corrected some of the paint work and weathering. This includes a more accurate spinner spiral, paint chipping and dirt on the wing roots and under surfaces. Also in one photo of this plane I think it shows that the radio antenna wire retraction mechanism was disconnected and so, with the canopy open, the wire is just hanging slack. But as I had fixed the canopy so well, and I’m not 100% sure about this detail, I decided to leave it as is.
More dirt and chipping on the starboard wing root.
Extra soot around the shell ejection chutes and along selected panel lines on the belly.
ORIGINAL ADDITIONS AND ENHANCEMENTS
- Before construction commenced rivets were added to the exterior surfaces.
- The kit-supplied belly tank was replaced with the more correct part from Hasegawa’s Me 109 G6 kit. Plumbing, stability pins and braces were added to the tank and the mounting rack using brass wire, plastic rod and stretched sprue.
- The 30mm shell ejector chutes on the lower wing were cut open and the outer 20mm chutes were closed off.
- Brass tube was added to the wing leading edges to represent the 30mm cannon barrels. The tips of the kit’s plastic 20mm cannon barrels were hollowed out using the point of a new scalpel blade.
- All tyres were flat spotted and the tail wheel structure was modified so it would sit in a slightly more retracted position.
- Plumbing and wiring was added to the main undercarriage legs and actuator arms using lead wire and fine copper wire.
- The tailwheel retraction wire seen attached to the starboard undercarriage retraction arm was made from stretched sprue.
- Flaps were modified so they would sit in a more realistic 2/3rd closed position.
- The kit’s thick plastic D/F loop was replaced with a metal staple that was straightened and then bent to shape.
- The plastic FuG antenna mast was replaced with a piece of finer diameter brass wire cut to the appropriate length.
- The whip antenna wire at the end of the Morane mast was replaced with much finer brass wire.
- The pitot tube was replaced with Albion Alloys telescoping brass tube.
- Landing gear retraction indicators were added to the top of the wings using fine brass wire.
- Armour plates were added to the fuselage sides below the windshield and the cockpit. These were cut from .020″ plastic sheet and had all their edges bevelled as per my reference pics.
- The cowl gun troughs were filled with pieces of shaped plastic rod.
- Bracing wires were added to the back of the armoured headrest using black nylon mono filament (invisible mending thread).
- Finally the radio antenna wire was added. Before the rear canopy section was attached a small hole was drilled in front of the aerial pulley wheel housing and a longer than needed length of nylon mono filament was threaded through. The end was then fed through a hole that had been drilled in the centre of the bracket plate at the rear of the canopy combing and glued in place. A tiny hole was drilled down into the top of the aerial attachment spigot on the vertical tail fin and a small loop fashioned from very fine wire was super glued into it. After the rear canopy was firmly fixed in place the thread was pulled tight through this loop, tied off and permanently fixed with a drop of super glue.