REVELL 1/32 Me Bf109 G-10 Erla
Erla built Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-10 of 2/JG27
Red 13 of 2./JG27, Schwerin-Görries/ Germany, mid April 1945. Claes Sundin (whose beautiful illustration of this aircraft was my main inspiration for this build) states “that this Bf 109 G-10 was found intact, belly-landed in a field. The W.Nr. on its rudder is a qualified guess as it is known that the Gruppen flew this type of G-10 from the 151XXX block and some of them were camouflaged in this overall scheme of RLM 81/82. This machine had been quoted as being Black 13 however, by this time, 2./JG 27 was only using red tactical numbers.” Claes may be wrong about the red 13 but I think it looks great on this scheme.
Cockpit with a fair bit of extra detail added. The very ordinary kit rudder pedals were replaced with the much better items from the Hasegawa G-10 kit.
Kit joystick with some extra detail added.
Cockpit painted and weathered with the beautiful HGW micro fibre fabric seatbelts added to the seat.
Interior installed. Decals for the instrument dials were sourced from an old Hasegawa 109 decal sheet. Each dial face was cut out and applied separately.
Revi gunsight from the Hasegawa 109G-10 kit (with a bit of extra detail added) was used in place of the underwhelming kit offering.
The kit’s chin radiator is way too shallow so I replaced it with the corresponding deeper part from the Hasegawa 109 kit.
The kit’s very narrow exhaust stacks were replaced with the broader Hasegawa offering. This required a bit of surgery to make them fit which included thinning of the exhaust shrouds, which I was going to do anyway. Also the end of each stack was carefully hollowed out.
A new push rod for the rudder’s trim tab made from brass wire and tube replaced the kit part. The fine wire loop near the top of the tail fin makes for a very secure attachment point for the radio antenna wire. A corresponding loop was added to the fuselage just behind the cockpit opening for attaching the other end of the wire.
The small scoops on either side of the nose were very carefully hollowed out using my motor tool and a sharp scalpel blade. Note also rivets added to spinner.
This shot shows the initial application of the cammo colours and the JG27 green Reich Defence band. Weathering is also well underway and you can also see that the entire model has been riveted.
Decals have now been applied but as I couldn’t find any appropriate decals for the fuselage Balkenkreuz and red 13, I cut masks and sprayed them on. The speculative W.Nr. on the tail was made by cutting individual numbers from the kit decal sheet. The insulators on the antenna wire were made by cutting 2.5mm lengths of 0.5mm x 0.3mm brass tube and threading onto the nylon mono filament. Once in position each one was secured with a tiny drop of CA glue.
Patchy bare metal lower wings with wingtips, ailerons and horizontal tail surfaces in RLM76. All weathered with my black/brown mix.
Open canopy securing strap and spring were made from very fine copper and brass wire. Securing loops for the radio antenna wire and safety harness buckles were also made from fine wire. DF loop was made from a narrow strip of flat P/E brass from the spares box.
Given the black and white treatment to try and match my B/W reference photo shows how it could easily be interpreted as black or red “13”.
Gunze Sangyo Aqueous Hobby Color- H-65 RLM70 Black Green, H-70 RLM02 Grey, H-417 RLM76 Light Blue, H-421 RLM81 Brown Violet, H-422 RLM82 Light Green.
Tamiya Acrylic- XF-1 Flat Black, XF-2 Flat White, X-18 Semi Gloss Black, XF-24 Dark Grey, XF-64 Red Brown.
Tamiya Lacquer- LP-70 Gloss Aluminum.
Winsor & Newton Galleria- Matt Varnish