Hasegawa 1/72 Mitsubishi Ki67 Hiryu (Peggy)
The ‘Flying Dragon’. In my humble opinion, the best looking Japanese bomber of WW2.
The first job was to replace the plastic radar dipoles with .3mm brass wire. Still not quite thin enough but much more acceptable than the over-thick plastic representation.
The interior was improved by the addition of the photo etch detail set 72 321 from Eduard. Boy! I had forgotten how small 72nd scale was!
Photo etch replacement for the floor of the glazed nose. This is only a fraction of the P/E detail that was to be crammed into this area.
The rear fuselage is a little less crowded.
The cockpit area painted and weathered.
I did opt for the kit decal instrument panel rather than the P/E alternative.
The only major fault that I found with the kit was the difference between the circumference of the fuselage and the slightly smaller, clear nose part. This was rectified by gluing a strip of thin plastic card to the top of the fuselage and sanding until the step between the two parts was eliminated.
I added the internal framework to the rear gunner’s position using .020 plastic rod from Evergreen.
The kit instructions indicate that if the torpedo is to be fitted, that the bomb bay doors are not to be installed. On closer inspection of the available photographic references of the Ki67, I determined that the doors were cut down and fitted in the closed position. I presume this configuration would have provided slightly better aerodynamic quality than no doors at all. In this shot it can be seen that I have removed one 3rd of each door and fixed them in the closed position.
I cut a fine grain pattern on the breakaway wooden torpedo fins which were then painted Tamiya Desert Yellow and given a very thin black/brown wash.
Before fitting the wooden fins, the torpedo’s prop blades were thinned down and each blade was carefully twisted to give them a more correct pitch.
A handsome aircraft from all angles.
All panel lines were shaded to various degrees with my black/brown mix.
Exhaust stains were achieved using the same black/brown mix only applied slightly heavier with a carefully sprayed centre of Tamiya Buff to give a lean burn look. The tyres were sprayed flat black and dirtied up with Tamiya Dark Earth. Hydraulic lines were made from fine solder wire.
Fine lines of rivets were added to the front half of the fuselage and to the engine cowls using the point of a sewing needle. The support struts for the open canopy hatches were made from stretched spru.