Tamiya 1/48 Messerscmitt Bf 109 G6

ME Bf 109 G6/R6 ‘Black 1’  W.Nr. Unknown  8./JG 54  Pilot Unknown  Lüneburg, Germany Spring 1944.

Starboard cockpit wall with some added detail to the oxygen supply mechanism.

Cockpit tub with straps added to the rudder pedals and scratch-built seat belts added to the seat.

Bottom of the engine with extra detail.

Extra plumbing and wiring was added to the engine sides and bottom using fine copper and solder wire.

Underwing gondola cannon barrels were replaced with brass tube.

Kit decals were used for the instrument panel.

Wing radiator innards.

The navigation lights are moulded as part of the solid grey wing tips, so with some good photographic reference I painted them to look transparent.

I was very happy with the result.

Chipping along the wing roots was done using a very sharp Prismacolor silver pencil. Also in this shot can be seen grab handles on the rear frame of the forward canopy, retaining wire holding the centre canopy section and the replacement D/F loop made using scrap P/E.

Very dirty belly of this well-used machine.

The top deck’s pretty messy too.

 

GALLERY

      

This entry was posted by Chris Wauchop.

28 thoughts on “Tamiya 1/48 Messerscmitt Bf 109 G6

    • Can’t really comment Rob ’cause I haven’t actually ever seen the Eduard kit. It would have to be pretty good to beat this one though.

    • Hi Nick,
      the build of this beautiful little kit was fairly effortless, though the painting and weathering in this smaller scale is getting a bit more challenging these days.

    • They’re the bits I really love doing, but as I said above it is getting a little harder in the smaller scales.

  1. Hi Chris,
    absolutely wonderful piece of art as usual. Can you describe how did u paint the navigation lights? I like them!

    • Hi George, really glad you like the model, and as for the nav lights, each housing was first painted RLM02, then the red and green bulbs were added. Once these were dry a thin black wash was carefully built-up around each coloured bulb and the outer edges of each light housing all the while, carefully trying to match my photo reference. When this was dry each light was given several coats of clear gloss. Reproducing the look of the pics was a bit of a challenge but the results , I think, are very pleasing.

      Hope this description is clear enough. If not I’m happy to answer anymore questions you may have.

      Cheers,
      Chris.

      • thank you Chris i will try it to my next model!
        thank you
        George

  2. Very inspiring to see what can be done. Someday I wish to be able to do that kind of detailing. So this goes into my “library of the future”

  3. Superb work as always Chis, you’re a master of the craft. What brand of paint are you using these days for the camo and interior and did you mix any colors for the camo on this project?

  4. Hi Scott,
    paints used are a combination of Gunze and Tamiya acrylics. Main cammo is all Gunze with a combination of both for the rest.

  5. Hi Chris,

    Great work, needless to say, as always. I always wondered how you do all the fine details on the exterior to have it look this vivid and realistic. Are there any step for step explanations somewhere? For example how did you do the weathering on the yellow rudder?

    Best Regards

  6. What to say? Every 2 or 3 days I check if you post something new, i’been following your work for a couple of months now and there’s always a new detail to see in all your models, and for my part there’s also the try to emulate some of your results and i must say that your work has inspire me to do things i didn’t before, for that thanks for sharing your work.
    For that Me 109, it’s superb, I been really paying attention to the exact ammount of weathering that you apply, and it’s a thing of beauty, knowing how some fashions regarding heavy shadings are trending today, that 109 is a solid parameter to follow in the matter of realistic finish without pushing it too far, a true difficult spot on work.

    Really glad to see it, and wondering what’s next in your workbench.

    Cheers. From Argentina .

    Nacho.

  7. Thanks for your very kind words Nacho and yes I have to agree that there does seem to be a tendency to overdo things these days. I have always said that subtlety is the key. Next on the workbench is a Hasegawa 1/32 P-40E Warhawk in RAAF North African theatre markings. This is a commission job and it has been supplied to me with a lot of aftermarket stuff. Not my favourite subject but should be fun anyway.

    All the best,

    Chris.

    • In effect, subtlety is the key (i will steal this statement from now on). I expect to see the harsh conditions of the african campaing reflected in that warhawk. I will keep on studying your pictures and working in the subtleties of colour and shape.

      Thanks for your reply,

      Nacho.

Please comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: