Zimmerit. I was supplied with Tamiya’s self adhesive zimmerit but was not happy with the result it gave so I replaced it with my own, using white superfine Milliput and a small screwdriver. This was a very time-consuming job but was worth the extra effort. In this shot you can also see weld beads that were added using stretched sprue softened with liquid cement and textured with the point of a scalpel blade.
This shot shows some of the extra detail added. This includes brass and copper wire replacement hatch handles, hinge bolts cut from plastic rod, hooks for hanging the tow cables made from P\E scrap and a bracket to hang the sledge hammer from plastic card.
With construction complete the model received a coat of dark yellow and the tracks were painted a mixture of Tamiya red brown with a touch of flat black.The contact points of the tracks were coloured with a Prismacolor silver pencil.
The camouflage colours were sprayed quite subtly as per my reference and a bucket from the spares box was appropriately beaten up and hung from the jack bracket. The kit’s string tow cable was replaced with copper twine.
A couple of spare track links were hung from the tow cable hooks on this side.
The tracks, road-wheels and generally all lower areas were liberally coated with a mix of pastel chalk dust and turpentine.
All the raised detail received a very carefully applied wash of oil based black/brown. This included a heavier but no less careful application to the detail on all the running gear.
The spare track links (front and rear) received a very heavy dusting of pastel chalk powder.
Lots of scratches were added with the aid of a very fine brush and a very sharp 6B pencil.
More wear and scratches.
Finished! Or so I thought.
At this point I realised that I had forgotten to apply the tactical number decal to the rear end.
This is the story of how I rejuvenated my 1984 model of one of my favourite Ray Harryhausen monsters.
This is my original paint job, which I was pretty proud of back in 1984. The head, jaw, arms and legs were posable which meant the join lines were very visible. This feature was always unpleasing to my eye.
The original acrylic paint was removed by spraying the entire model with Isopropyl alcohol and scrubbing with an old toothbrush. This process took quite few hours more than I anticipated and resulted in exposing many, tiny air bubble holes, particularly on his arms, which would have to be filled.
Before any filling of the joints was started I decided to put some hair on his legs. This was done by scratching each individual hair into the vinyl, using a panel scribing tool. After many hours a very pleasing result was achieved, but I don’t think I’ll be doing it again in any hurry!
Some manicuring was necessary to make his fingernails more representative of the movie original. This was done using a motor tool set to a fairly slow speed and fitted with a very fine, round dental burr (thanks Alice).
In this and the next two shots his head, jaw, arms and legs have all been glued in position and filled with Milliput epoxy putty. Note also the new Milliput horn tip and dental work.
Some extra warts were added to his back using small drops of CA glue.
The filled joints around his neck and jaw were given a coat of liquid filler to make sure that there were no gaps left. You can also see in this shot the tiny holes on his arms have been filled using Milliput.
After studying the movie for hours the new paint job was applied and he is finished.
He now stands proudly in the bookshelves right next to my ‘Clash of the Titans’ gorgon, Medusa.
Revell 1/72 Focke Wulf FW 200 Condor w/Hs 293 Glide bombs
The Eduard exterior P/E detail set 72 463 was used on this model. This made a big difference, especially the radar antenna!
Hasegawa 1/72 Bristol Beaufighter Mk.X of 455 Squadron R.A.A.F. while based in Scotland.
These aircraft were mainly employed in the anti-shipping role.
Tamiya 1/48 Dornier Do 335
A beautiful kit with very little extra detail added.
Tamiya 1/35 Hetzer. This is a vehicle from 1./Gebirgs-Panzerjager-Abteilung 95, 3 Geberirgsdivision, Tatra Mountains, Czechoslovakia, Jan ’45.
This was my first attempt at the hairspray method of weathering. I wasn’t 100% sure what I was doing but the result was OK.
The VOYAGERMODEL P/E detail set was used on this model.
The detail on the kit’s MG 34 is beautiful.
The kit’s plastic grab-handles were replaced with brass wire bent to shape.
Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk IX of 453 Squadron RAAF at Hornchurch April 1943.
This aircraft started life as a Mk V and was converted to Mk IX standard by Rolls Royce. It was flown by Wing Commander John Ratten in June 1943.
Wing Commander Ratten was credited with 2 kills, 2 shared, 1 probable and 2 damaged before being killed in action in Feb ’45.
Finished Rolls Royce Merlin engine fitted to the main airframe.
Just waiting for prop and cowling panels to be fitted.